10 amazing facts about Colombia
Updated: Nov 30, 2020
Colombia is often misunderstood around the world, so we wanted to share with you some facts about this beautiful country and help change perceptions. Here are 10 amazing facts about Colombia we bet you did not know!
1. Colombia is the only country in South America with Atlantic and Pacific coastlines, with over 300 breathtaking beaches.
2. Colombia has the most Public Holidays in the world, following India.
3. Colombia is the second Happiest Country in the World according to the Global Barometer of Happiness and Hope by WIN/Gallup International.
4. Colombia is the second most bio-diverse country in the world, following Brazil.
5. Bogota's GDP alone is bigger than the GDP of Ecuador, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia (International Monetary Fund).
6. Colombia is home to around 55,000 different types of plant species – which account for 15 percent of the existing species in the world.
7. Colombia has more than 1,821 species of birds, 623 species of amphibians, 467 species of mammals, and 518 species of reptiles and 3,200 species of fish.
8. Colombia is the size of Texas and California, or France, Portugal and Spain combined.
9. Colombia is South America's oldest and most stable democracy.
10. Colombia ranked second in The New York Times list of 52 Places to Go in 2018!
This blog post was written & published by Intern Colombia on 9 March 2018